Manic Monday? / ¿Lunes Maníaco?

La versión en español está después de la versión en inglés.

Moose, the little shit, woke me at 5:15 demanding his morning treats. We try to at least put them off until 7 now, but he’s insistent and there’s no sleeping when Moose is on the loose. I had an appointment in the morning and wanted to get back to sleep for a bit, so I gave them their treats at 5:45. I next woke up at 8:35 and hustled myself out of bed. I got sidetracked anyway and by the time I showered and dressed — no time for breakfast — I kissed San Geraldo good-bye saying I was running late. “Where are you going?” he asked. Frustrated that he had forgotten, I replied, “My doctor’s appointment at 10.” “That’s tomorrow. Today’s Sunday.” Shit.

Have you ever done that? I did so only once before when we lived in Las Vegas. San Geraldo was already out of bed and downstairs. I showered, shaved, put on my suit and tie, grabbed my briefcase and stopped to kiss him good-bye. (It’s a good thing I always stop to kiss him good-bye. I recommend it.) “Why are you going to work on Saturday?” Shit.

This morning, I went back to bed after breakfast and didn’t get up until 1 p.m. We just finished lunch. I washed dishes and polished the stainless steel kitchen sink. Now, what else can I polish? I might go for a walk. I might not. The surf is finally higher than usual and it can be heard throughout the apartment. Bliss.

Yesterday afternooon, I walked over to the fairgrounds to see the preparations for the Fuengirola Fair, which will be here from the 6th thru the 12th. That opens Thursday after a three-year Covid hiatus. The casetas are being painted, signs are going up, and the rides are arriving. This is actually one of my favorite times at the fair. Before it opens and the blasting music and huge crowds arrive.


Moose, la pequeña mierda, me despertó a las 5:15 exigiendo sus golosinas matutinas. Tratamos de posponerlos al menos hasta las 7 ahora, pero él es insistente y no se puede dormir cuando Moose anda suelto. Tenía una cita por la mañana y quería volver a dormir un poco, así que les di sus golosinas a las 5:45. Luego me desperté a las 8:35 y me levanté de la cama. Me desvié de todos modos y cuando me duché y me vestí, no había tiempo para desayunar, le di un beso de despedida a San Geraldo diciendo que llegaba tarde. “¿A dónde vas?” preguntó. Frustrado porque se había olvidado, le respondí: “Mi cita con el médico a las 10”. “Eso es mañana. Domingo de hoy. Mierda.

¿Alguna vez has hecho eso? Solo lo hice una vez cuando vivíamos en Las Vegas. San Geraldo ya estaba fuera de la cama y abajo. Me duché, me afeité, me puse el traje y la corbata, agarré mi maletín y me detuve para darle un beso de despedida. (Menos mal que siempre me detengo a darle un beso de despedida. Lo recomiendo.) “¿Por qué vas a trabajar el sábado?” Mierda.

Esta mañana volví a la cama después del desayuno y no me levanté hasta la 1 p.m. Acabamos de terminar de almorzar. Lavé los platos y pulí el fregadero de acero inoxidable de la cocina. Ahora, ¿qué más puedo pulir? Podría ir a dar un paseo. Puede que yo no. El oleaje finalmente es más alto de lo habitual y se puede escuchar en todo el apartamento. Dicha.

Ayer por la tarde me acerqué al recinto ferial para ver los preparativos de la Feria de Fuengirola, que estará aquí del 6 al 12. Eso abre el jueves después de una pausa de tres años de Covid. Se pintan las casetas, se colocan carteles y llegan los juegos mecánicos. Este es en realidad uno de mis momentos favoritos en la feria. Antes de que abra y llegue la música a todo volumen y grandes multitudes.

• Oops. Someone spilled the polka dot paint (a reflection in a puddle from our 3 minutes of rain).
• Ups. Alguien derramó la pintura de lunares (un reflejo en un charco de nuestros 3 minutos de lluvia).

Click the thumbnails.
Haz clic en las miniaturas.

Author: Moving with Mitchell

From Brooklyn, New York; to North Massapequa; back to Brooklyn; Brockport, New York; back to Brooklyn... To Boston, Massachusetts, where I met Jerry... To Marina del Rey, California; Washington, DC; New Haven and Guilford, Connecticut; San Diego, San Francisco, Palm Springs, and Santa Barbara, California; Las Vegas, Nevada; Irvine, California; Sevilla, Spain. And Fuengirola, Málaga..

30 thoughts on “Manic Monday? / ¿Lunes Maníaco?”

  1. Well, I have made Sveinung go to walk at one Sunday morning and another time I woke him up at 5am because I thougt the time was 7am 🙂 He took it with a smile every time.

  2. Two things…I thought of Suzie Q when you called your kitty a “little shit”…..I heard that from her a lot (regarding her fourleggeds! Second, you may not believe this but at about 5am this morning, I started going through my plans for the day.. NOT TODAY but Monday!! I freaked out a little and then realized it is Sunday morning….Change in Plans ( : Enjoy your Sunday evening!!

    1. Patty:
      Yep, we both often shared little shit stories. I’m glad you realized it was Sunday before you got out of bed. I’m getting ready for my doctor’s appointment. I think it’s today!

  3. Ha! Thank heavens for your SG kiss goodbye every day 🙂 I haven’t gone as far as getting ready for the wrong day, but I have definitely stayed in bed thinking REALLLLY hard about what day it is, and whether or not I’m supposed to be getting up for work.
    Magnificent photos!

    1. Judy C:
      We both regularly have those mornings when we have to think about what day it is. I wish I had thought more yesterday.

  4. I haven’t done that “mad panic thinking I should be in work on a weekend” thing for many years, thankfully. It’s a horrible feeling…

    We were in Fuengirola once while the Feria was on, and had no idea where it was taking place until we spotted the fairground on our last day there! Jx

  5. Well thank goodness SG said something before you showed up at the doctor’s office! I wonder if you would have realized it before you got there?

    Love the fanciful paint jobs on the buildings. Is that La Toya Jackson’s newest side venture, do you suppose?

    1. Steve:
      I thought the same thing about La Toya. But then I realized it was La Taja (The Slice). Maybe she’s changed her name.

  6. I can’t believe you were able to go back to sleep after rushing to get ready! Once I’m up, I’m up. But then, I am a lark compared to your owl. By 7am I had run 2 miles, walked the dogs, and showered. Lounging now, though.
    Fantastic photo of the reflected polka dots!

    1. Wilma:
      I had breakfast and then fell asleep at the computer. I used to be an early riser. Eating dinner at 10 changes that. I hadn’t noticed the reflected polka dots until I downloaded the photos. I would have done a better job capturing it.

  7. I’ve always been absentminded in the early morning, especially if I haven’t had enough sleep or am feeling stressed. When I was in university, I wore two different kinds of runners to my summer job one day and didn’t notice until a secretary pointed it out: a low-rise volleyball runner and a Nike trainer! The worst part was I had wondered all day why I was walking funny, LOL!

    1. Tundra Bunny:
      Oh, the shoes. We were walking HOME from dinner one night a few years ago when I looked down and noticed I was wearing two different black shoes. I’ll have to find that post.

  8. Ah….the ‘before’ the event. That place will be jammed I am sure after a couple of years being absent. can almost hear the quiet there now.
    I/we usually forget the appointment till the last minute! Then PANIC of being late! lol

    1. Jim:
      I have the appointments on my calendar with reminders. You’d think I might have wondered why it didn’t come up.

  9. I’ve never shown up a day early to an appointment or event, but I did once show up a day late to a friend’s big birthday party. You know, I wondered why it was so easy to park on her street. “Where are all the guests’ cars?” I thought. I still haven’t lived that one down.

    1. Debra:
      A day late for a birthday party. That’s the pits. Yeah, I wouldn’t let you live that down either. Jerry and I once showed up for a 17th of May (Norwegian) open house on the home of one of his colleagues. We had platters of Norwegian baked goods. SG had the hours wrong and the party had ended 2 hours earlier.

  10. When I was about 6 I got up and dressed for school, being urged on by my bully brother, only to find it was not a school day. Be careful of a Moose on the Loose

    1. Urspo:
      And Moose is the most talkative cat we’ve ever met. He’ll go on non-stop until he’s heard. And he gets louder and more insistent with each passing minute.

  11. I never got to the point where I was dressed and about to leave the house or apartment, but laying in bed I often do think it’s one day later than that it is.

    Love the jug doorway.

    1. Kirk:
      I love that jug doorway, too. Wouldn’t THAT be fun on the terrace? It’s good this stuff is either unavailable or too expensive or our terrace would be full to overflowing.

  12. If I woke you at 5:15 demanding a treat, I doubt you’d complain! *smirk*

    I can’t count the number of times I’ve confused what day it is, what time it is, or when I was doing what. It’s quite disconcerting.

    1. Sassybear:
      After Susan’s death, my brain seemed to be in a fog. Thank goddess SG was understanding.

Please share your thoughts...

%d bloggers like this: